Do you ever have days where you just don’t feel like eating healthy? Let’s get this in the open. We all have weekends at Disney World or Super Bowl parties and we want to be able to indulge! Our comfort foods or favorite desserts are screaming out at us and since it’s a holiday, it’s easy to skip on the healthy eats.
No matter how unhealthy we are eating, we still love fresh veggies and salads. We love making veggies or other healthy snacks a bit healthier with things like homemade ranch dressing, salsa or hummus dip! These things fill us up so when we indulge, we can really enjoy them knowing that we are fueling our bodies with the important stuff.
One of our favorite snacks is hummus. This time around, we’re making it pretty and pink with the addition of beets! Beets make this hummus extra nutritious and full of vitamins and minerals.
Many beet hummus recipes you’ll find are a bright hot pink color with a robust beet flavor. For the beet hummus newbie, this recipe has lighter beet presence. It yields a pretty pastel pink color with a subtle beet taste that is perfect for Valentines! If you’d like to get crazy on the beets, add a bit more beets to your taste! Have fun with it! You’ll be sure to love both takes.
- 1 can Garbonzo Beans or Chickpeas
- 2 Tablespoons Tahini
- ¼ cup chopped, roasted or jarred beets (use up to ½ cup for full flavor and color)
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- 2 large Garlic Cloves (3 if small)
- ½ teaspoon Sea Salt
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees if using fresh beets. Wash beets and cut off stems and leaves and cut in half. Wrap in foil and bake for 40-50 minutes. Allow to cool and chop and measure. If using jarred beets, measure out beets. In a food processor, combine the beans and beets until they are a roughly blended.
- Add the other ingredients. Add olive oil to desired consistency. Increase oil about a tablespoon or so if adding a full beet to the mix. Enjoy with your favorite chips and veggies!