After a few too many days of crepes and fish and chips this last week, my body is in need of a serious cleanse.
My guilt was doubled when I was reminded of emails from some of you nice readers asking about the candida diet. Here I was coming off of a week of pastries and getting hit with questions about a healthy lifestyle that we used to live so diligently. I was reminded of my very healthy, very good eating habits that I have since let go. For those of you who are new to our site, you can read a little more about our experiences with the candida diet in our about page and how this diet really started us on the path to natural foods. Whether candida is a problem for you or not, occasionally eating foods that are candida friendly is a great way to maintain a healthy, alkaline body. We don’t claim that this diet will heal all ailments, but we have found it to improve our own health.
One of the best things that can be done while on a candida cleanse is to increase raw vegetables and nuts. However, just living off of veggies for several weeks is no fun! For greater chance of success and staying devoted to the cleanse, delicious snacks and treats are in order! Let’s make some candida-friendly cookies!
These candida cookies are a great example of one treat we would eat when we followed the candida diet. You might be surprised that some of the items on the list are acceptable for the diet. You might also be surprised at how easy this recipe is. I know I was!
These cookies contain healthy fats, proteins and sugars that are all acceptable for the diet. The cinnamon enhances flavor, reduces inflammation and promotes good digestion. The xylitol sweetens these cookies while helping to kill the candida! Yes, xylitol is a fabulous lifesaver on this cleanse because it can help speed up your healing by killing off the candida! That’s a pretty sweet deal for a healthy cookie!
- 3 Tablespoons Coconut Oil, at room temperature
- 1½ Tablespoons Natural Unsweetened Almond, Cashew or Sunflower Seed Butter
- 3 Tablespoons Xylitol
- 1 Large Egg (if your eggs are small, please use 2 eggs)
- ¼ teaspoon Baking Soda
- ½ teaspoon Baking Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Sea or Pink Salt
- 1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract*
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 3 Tablespoons Coconut Flour (or 4-5 Tablespoons Flour of choice, we like Spelt Flour)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl, mix together the coconut oil, nut butter and xylitol together until combined. Add the egg and mix well. Add the baking soda, baking powder, salt and vanilla. Add the cinnamon and flour and mix until combined. Scoop out the dough with a small cookie scoop and roll into smooth spheres. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 7-9 minutes. Allow to cool on the pan for AT LEAST 3 minutes.