Calling all true chocolate lovers here… and ready to bask in some sugar-free chocolate goodness.
If you’re like me, you’ll agree that the best part of french silk pie is the rich chocolate mousse filling. Lighter than air, yet totally rich and chocolatey – that stuff is near to heaven. I don’t see that chocolate mousse much and it seemed a shame that it should be confined to pie.
Now, if you’re still with me on this, we’ll also agree that brownies are… perfect. Brownies have endless flavor combinations with sturdy, dense bases for any sweet addition. They are thick and chewy and seemed to me, the perfect opportunity for chocolate mousse “frosting”. You agree, right?
Imagine biting into this silky, chocolate mousse followed by a super chewy, dense chocolate bar (that just happens to be gluten-free). These brownies are exactly what they appear to be – light, yet dense. Rich, yet sweet. And all made with all natural ingredients! The powers of coconut sugar really shine in this dessert. Coconut sugar gets whipped into a dream for the chocolate mousse but then caramelizes brilliantly in the gluten-free brownies. Top it all with whipped cream if desired. These bars are so thick, so sweet, so rich and so filling, be warned – they are not for the chocolate faint of heart! They might send you into that wonderful state of “chocolate coma”. Which in my experience, was never a bad thing.
- Gluten-Free Brownies:
- 3 ounces unsweetened Chocolate, melted
- 1 cup Neutral Oil (we use grape seed oil)
- 2½ cups Coconut Sugar
- 4 Large Eggs
- ½ teaspoon Natural Butter Extract (optional)
- 2 teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
- ¾ teaspoon Sea or Pink Salt
- ½ teaspoon Cornstarch
- ⅓ cup plus 1 Tablespoon Cocoa
- 2 Tablespoons Almond Flour
- Chocolate Mousse:
- ¾ cup Soy-Free Earth Balance Butter, softened or Organic Butter (subbing coconut oil seems to have inconsistent results)
- 1¼ cup Coconut Sugar (please do NOT substitute this for any other sweeteners!)
- 5 Tablespoons Cocoa Powder
- 1½ teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
- ½ teaspoon Pink Salt
- 3 Large Organic Fresh Eggs (if the eggs used are small or medium, increase to 4 or 5 eggs)
- 3 drops Fresh Lemon Juice
- Vegan Whipped Cream (optional)
- 2 Tablespoons Chocolate Curls or Shavings (Optional)
- Grease a 9 x 9 baking dish and preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the melted chocolate, oil, and coconut sugar. Mix to combine. Slowly add the eggs and mix. Whisk in the extracts, salt, cornstarch, cocoa and flour together. Pour mixture in the prepared pan and bake for 30-35 minutes. Allow to cool completely before adding the chocolate mousse.
- In an electric mixer, fitted with the whisk attachment, beat butter and coconut sugar on high speed until completely smooth and fluffy, at least 5 minutes. If the mixture is not fluffy, the butter was to soft. Be sure to beat until the coconut sugar is completely dissolved. Add the cocoa, vanilla and salt and mix until combined. Add 3 eggs, one at a time, beating 4-5 minutes with each egg. Add lemon juice with the last egg and beat until totally smooth and fluffy.
- Spread mousse on cooled brownies and freeze for 1 hour. Remove from freezer, cut into squares and garnish with cream and chocolate shavings. Store covered in the fridge.