We’ve been spouting out ricotta recipes a little more than usual. Sometimes there are recipes that are worth splurging on. Hint: they usually include lemon or crepes. The ricotta infatuation continues with this sweet lemon bread.
We also love polenta! Polenta is great in a variety of dishes, but we usually see it in savory recipes. Turns out, polenta is delicious in baked goodies, especially with ricotta and lemon. Polenta and ricotta get whipped flawlessly with honey and fresh lemon. We then add lots of vanilla and a nice hearty flour. This creates the moistest sweet bread around with the most dense texture that will have you weak in the knees from the scent alone.
This cake bread bakes up beautifully for being low in oil and sugar. If you are clean out of eggs or have an egg allergy – come closer! This lemon cake is made egg-free!! It’s almost unbelievable there isn’t any egg in this super dense sweet bread but thanks to the polenta and ricotta, it does just fine without. You’ll find this cake bread is delicious eaten plain, topped with a drizzle of honey or a big pile of fresh berries. Let’s do this right!
- ¾ cup Organic Polenta
- ½ cup Ricotta Cheese
- 5 Tablespoons Butter or Coconut Oil, melted
- ½ cup Raw Honey
- ½ teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- ¼ teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Zest
- ⅓ cup Fresh Lemon Juice
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- ¾ cup plus 2 Tablespoons Spelt Flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, cream together the polenta, ricotta and butter or oil.
- Mix in all the other ingredients except the flour. Gently mix in the flour until just combined.
- Pour in a standard 9 by 5 loaf pan and bake for 45-52 minutes, or until golden.