Are you ready to sink your teeth into something really tasty? If you’ve tried our Chocolate Sugar Cookies, you know that the sour cream in that recipe creates the most moist, wonderfully plump little cookies you have ever tasted! These Pumpkin Sugar Cookies are no different. These festive cookies use pumpkin puree instead of the sour cream to create the same soft cookie but with a wonderful holiday flavor.
Are you wondering why these cookies were made into little birthday cakes instead of pumpkin shaped cookies? That’s because they are for Annie’s birthday! We decorated these cookies using Trader Joe’s Chocolate Covered Sunflower Seeds as perfect little candles and for a bit of natural color, too.
You can finish these cookies in two ways: A Faux-Sugar and Cinnamon option, or the delicious Pumpkin Pie Frosting! You really can’t go wrong with either one! Happy Birthday, Annie!
- PUMPKIN SUGAR COOKIES
- 1/2 Cup Organic Butter
- 1/2 Cup Canned or Homemade Pumpkin Puree
- 1 Organic Egg
- 1/2 Cup Coconut Sugar
- 1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 2 Teaspoon Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 2 Cups Spelt Flour
- NO-SUGAR & CINNAMON COATING
- 1 Tablespoon Cinnamon
- 1 Tablespoon Xylitol
- PUMPKIN PIE FROSTING
- 1 Cup Powdered Date Sugar
- 1 Cup Powdered Coconut Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Butter
- 2-4 Tablespoons Milk (We used coconut)
- Dash of Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Pumpkin Pie Spice, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350*. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cream together butter, pumpkin, egg, and coconut sugar. Next add vanilla, baking soda, baking powder, and pumpkin pie spice and mix well. Add flour gradually as you mix until you reach a consistency appropriate for rolling and cookie cutting. After you have rolled them and cut them into the desired shapes, sprinkle cookies with No-Sugar and Cinnamon Sprinkles below if you are NOT
- frosting the cookies after they are baked. Bake cookies spaced about 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet for 10-12 minutes. Cool the cookies completely.
- Pulverize both sugars in a blender until they become powdered. Use a soft pastry brush or spatula to wipe out the powder from your blender into your mixing bowl.
- Using a hand-held mixer, cream together butter and the powdered sugars. Add milk to desired consistency. Add salt and pumpkin pie spice. Decorate cookies by spreading frosting with a knife or with a pastry bag and cake decorating tips as we have done in these pictures. Decorate with Trader Joe’s Chocolate Covered Sunflower Seeds for a bit of natural color like pictured, if desired!