I was in a desperate need for pancakes a few weeks back, when I stopped by our bloggie friend’s beautiful site, The Roasted Root to see what she was cooking up. Low and behold- Julia was busy with a delicious array of pancake recipes! What she calls “The Pancake Project” features stunning fresh recipes each week. Each stack had me smitten – they were full of healthy, whole foods and I couldn’t wait to try one.
After some evaluation of the ingredients I had on hand, I finally settled on which one I’d make. Her Almond Flour Pancakes just looked too good not to try.
My oh my, these pancakes were soooo good. They were a nice new pancakes flavor for me so I fully enjoyed their sweet almond-y flavor. The almond meal gave these heavenly sweet cakes a great texture and taste. I made a few changes to the original recipe since I didn’t have the exact amount of ingredients on hand but will forever keep this pancake recipe close at hand. Julia serves these with a pomegranate syrup which looks delicious – while I substituted in slivered almonds and blueberries with plain maple syrup. These pancakes are a breeze to whip up, gluten and dairy free and just delicious as can be!
- 2 Large Eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2/3 cup unsweetened Almond Milk
- 1 Tablespoon Honey or Maple Syrup
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1 cup Almond Meal
- 2/3 cup White Rice Flour or Almond Meal
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, whisk eggs with the almond milk and vanilla. Add the maple syrup or honey, then the the salt and baking powder. Add the flour and whisk until just combined. Be careful not to over beat.
- Cook pancakes on a non-stick griddle or skillet. Pour a scant 1/4 cup of batter into the skillet for each pancake. The pancakes will start to bubble when they need to be flipped. Gently flip pancakes and cook until golden. Serve with your favorite pancake toppings.
P.S.- Since trying out these almond pancakes, Julia has continued to add to her pancake collection. Check out her site for more mouth watering pancake recipes!