I like to follow a simple standard when it comes to shopping. If the item makes me extremely giddy or even makes me dance (especially in the dressing room), I buy it immediately. If it doesn’t illicit this kind of joy, I don’t buy it and wait for something better.
Recently, I have come to apply this standard to everything. From shopping to books to food, I don’t want to waste time with anything mediocre.
The recent sugar-free challenge we have been participating in has been a great experience. Challenges always give a renewed passion for healthy eating. How can I keep this up? I know we are stronger against temptations when we have good food available to us. Food so good (and healthy) we want to bust a move… even when it involves kale.
I also know we’re stronger when we stay together in these health goals. That’s why I’m inviting you to make this salad with me. I would love to see your face when you try this salad full of superfoods like raw kale, almonds, avocados and lemon juice and see that you love it! This salad is held together beautifully with soft avocado, goat cheese and a lovely lemon balsamic vinaigrette. The dressing holds things together and gives a great depth of flavor.
You can also omit the goat cheese and this salad is 100% vegan and gluten-free! Win! When a salad can be vegan, flavorful and filling, that’s doing things right.
Truth be told, this dish is inspired by a Utah restaurants’ Chicken Wild Rice Kale Salad. This vegetarian rendition tastes very similar, but is a little more rewarding knowing exactly what’s in it. It really is a mix of all the best, most delicious flavors and feels just light enough to be healthy, but hearty enough for this beautiful autumn weather. Friends, make it and love it!
- WILD RICE KALE SALAD:
- 1 cup Wild Rice
- Squeeze of Lime
- 2 cups finely chopped Curly Kale
- 1 Large Apple, chopped small
- ⅓ cup Raw Slivered Almonds
- ⅓ cup Craisins*
- 1 Large Avocado, diced (use 2 if avocados are small)
- 4 ounces Goat Cheese
- LEMON BALSAMIC VINAIGRETTE:
- ¼ cup Fresh Lemon Juice
- ¼ cup Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijion Mustard
- 1 Garlic Clove, minved
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Pepper
- ¼ teaspoon Liquid Stevia
- 2-3 Tablespoons Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- Cook the rice in 2 cups water with the squeeze of lime. Allow to cool until just warm or at room temperature. While the rice is cooling, prepare all the chopped produce. Toss rice with all the salad ingredients.
- For the dressing, whisk together ingredients in a small bowl until smooth. Drizzle the dressing over the salad and gently toss to evenly coat. Cover entire salad so the citrus in the dressing keeps leftovers fresh. Enjoy! Store leftovers covered in the fridge up to 2 days.
- PS: Add cooked chicken or shrimp for any meat lovers. Omit the goat cheese to make vegan.
NOTE: For naturally sweet craisins, see our Homemade Dried Cranberries or use this brand sweetened with apple juice!